Monday, December 1, 2008

the coupon organizer

It took some trial & error to finally find the coupon organization that works for me. I tried:
  • accordion file
  • premade coupon organizers
  • small picture album
  • keeping the inserts together & filing by date

These did not work out well for me, but I finally found the best way for me. I got a 2-inch binder with sheet protectors & 2-pocket photo holders, & dividers.

In the front section I have sheet protectors for store ads & booklets divided by store. This way I can also put coupons, receipts, etc. from that store there too.

In the middle section is where I have all my coupons sorted by category. I have dividers with the main category, then the photo holders with the sub-categories. The categories & sub-categories I use (which I do tweak from time to time):

Health Aids
-pain/cold/sleep
-stomach
-vitamins/other meds
-health products (includes bandaids, diet foods)

Beauty Aids
-hair products
-make-up/facial
-deodorants/fragrances
-soaps/lotions
-teeth products
-shaving needs
-eye care
-feminine needs

Paper Goods
-paper products (includes tissues, toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates)
-trash/storage

Cleaning Supplies
-candles/air fresheners
-laundry
-dishes
-other cleaners/supplies

Canned Goods
-soups
-other canned

Pasta/Rice
-pasta/boxed meals
-rice/sides

Frozen Foods/Meats
-pizza/dinners
-desserts/veges
-breads/breakfast
-meat (includes frozen or refrigerated meats)

Bread/Cereal
-bread
-cereal/cereal bars

Snack Foods
-candy/gum/mints/cookies
-crackers/chips/popcorn/fruits/nuts

Dairy Aisle
-dairy products/eggs
-biscuits/refrigerated cookies

Condiments/Drinks
-condiments
-drinks

Baking Goods
-mixes/frosting
-staples (includes spices, sugar, cooking oil)

Baby Items
-diapers/wipes
-other baby (includes diaper rash ointment, baby wash/lotion, baby foods, formula)

Pets

Clothing/Miscellaneous (includes batteries, film)

Stores/Restaurants

The last 3 categories I have in sheet protectors. I also have a pencil pouch that I keep scissors, pen, highlighter, & sharpie. I try to take my binder with me to every store for those impulse buys. I try to keep my coupons with the earliest expiration dates @ the front so I can see what I need to use & makes it easier to throw them out once they've expired.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow, you are oh-so-much more organized than I am! Good job!