Tuesday, August 26, 2008

the prayer request

My dad has been in the hospital since Saturday morning. I got a call from my step-mom that the doctor was suggesting all the family come to the hospital ASAP. I was @ work so I clocked out & hitched a ride to Dallas with my aunts to the VA Hospital.

My dad has multiple problems, the worst being cirrhosis which is causing his body to be unable to get rid of ammonia. By the time he arrived his ammonia was 6 times the normal amount which mostly affects his brain causing him to be very out of it & couldn't talk (just murmur a little) or look at any of us. He has developed an infection that they cannot isolate where so they are just treating him with antibiotics. He is having trouble breathing, he is working hard to breathe. He has been very sick before where the doctors thought he wouldn't make it, & he ended up doing well. So it's possible with his stubborness & fight that he will come out of this, but not probable.

The nurse told us that my dad didn't know what was going on or that we were there which is good because that means he's not suffering at all, but bad because I wanted him to know that I was there & hear me say that I love them. When I was saying good-bye to head back home, I told him I loved him & it sounded like he said it back. Realistically I know he probably didn't, but it makes me feel better to think we had this special moment.

I found out from his sisters last night during the drive that he has been smoking & drinking since he was 13 years old, he is 58 now. That is 45 years - can you imagine what that does to a body? It is amazing to me that he has lived as long as he has - he is quite a fighter!

My dad's name is Steve Cooney, if you could say a quick prayer for him it would be greatly appreciated!

No comments: